Work with turtles & conduct research at Veragua Rainforest Park
Explore the ecology, ecosystems and people of Costa Rica’s Caribbean Coast. Work with endangered sea turtles at a family-operated sea turtle conservation station. At the station, walk the beaches at night in search of nesting or hatching sea turtles. Next, head to Cahuita to relax on the white sand beaches and swim in the warm Caribbean. After a day of rest, you’ll hike into the Talamanca Mountains to spend an afternoon with an indigeneous community. Participate in field work with local researchers at Veragua Rainforest Research Park and have a chance to tour the 4,000 acre private reserve. Immerse yourself in rural Costa Rican life firsthand as you spend a night at Finca Sura, a small family farm.
- Explore Costa Rica’s rich ecology and diverse ecosystems as you travel the Caribbean Coast.
- Walk the beaches at night in search of nesting or hatching leatherback sea turtles.
- Get up close with the beautiful morpho butterfly and experience butterflies in all stages of life at a local butterfly farm.
- Visit a local elementary school.
- Relax on the white sand beaches of Cahuita National Park and swim in the warm Caribbean water.
- Hike into the Talamanca mountains for an afternoon visit with a local indigenous community.
- Tour Veragua Rainforest Adventure & Research Park and work with local researchers on field projects like building artificial breeding sites for endangered frogs.
- Experience rural Costa Rica ﬁrsthand on the small family farm of Finca Sura. Explore the trails and participate in activities such as planting pineapples, fishing for tilapia, and meeting the local animal residents!
mid-March through mid‐July (during the turtle nesting and hatching seasons)
- Trip Length:
9 days / 8 nights
- 2018 Program Fee:
$1795 land per participant
- 2019 Program Fee:
$1850 land per participant
- Program Fee Includes:
Bilingual Naturalist Guide, accommodations, private in-country transportation, meals, activity and entrance fees.
- Free Travel for Trip Leaders:
One trip leader travels free (including air) with seven full paying participants.
Rafting or ziplining can be added for $55/per paying participant