9-day Amazon Discovery Trip
Amazon rainforest, tropical ecology and cultural immersion
On the Amazon Discovery trip, the opportunity to learn will surround you – over your head, beneath your feet and everywhere you look. You’ll experience one of the world’s most astonishing and important ecosystems – the tropical rainforest! Unrivaled in its scale and complexity, the Amazon harbors at least 10% of the world’s known biodiversity, accounts for 20% of the world’s fresh water and shelters 350 ethnic groups. Students will have a chance to experience this firsthand as they explore Amazon biodiversity, indigenous cultures and spend a day of service in an Amazon village.
Read the full 9-day Amazon Discovery itinerary.
- Explore the Amazon on a 1/4-mile Rainforest Canopy Walkway at the Amazon Conservatory for Tropical studies.
- Participate in a Village Service Day and collaborate with local community members on sustainable development and community improvement projects.
- Join the Yagua people as they teach their age-old cultural traditions and ceremonies.
- Work on your bartering skills when you trade items such as t-shirts and fish hooks for Yagua handicrafts, such as blow guns, paddles, necklaces, and woven baskets.
- Hike along jungle trails and boat down Amazon tributaries in search of Amazon birds, monkeys, insects and plants.
- Meet with a local shaman and learn about medicinal plants and traditional rainforest medicines from the Amazon.
- Fish for Piranha in the flooded forest.
- Trip Length:
9 days / 8 nights
- Available Trip Dates:
Year round (ideal for Winter term and Spring break)
- 2023 Program Fee:
From $2275 land
- Program Fee Includes:
Accommodations (based on double occupancy), meals as outlined and purified water at the lodges, private in-country transportation (bus, boat), naturalist guides, tips for staff and guides, activities and entrance fees for activities listed.
- Free Travel for Trip Leaders:
Free trip leader travel includes both land and air.