Rainforest Adventure, Culture & Citizen Science Research
On the 10-day Amazon expedition, get a full day of research with Amazon faculty and research scientists! This special expedition includes a full day of citizen science research at Amazon Conservatory of Tropical Studies with workshops and guest lectures from our Amazon faculty and research scientists. Plus, have a chance to explore rainforest trails and waterways and participate in hands-on activities with Yagua indigenous community members. The Amazon Expedition is offered late June/early July* when our faculty and scientists are in the field.
*Additional fees for Amazon faculty support will apply off-season Amazon Expedition
- Participate in citizen science field research and learn more about the Amazon.
- Learn about Amazon biodiversity through special field sessions and discussions given by Amazon experts.
- Explore the Amazon from a 1/4-mile Rainforest Canopy Walkway at the Amazon Conservatory for Tropical Studies.
- Participate in a Village Service Day and collaborate with local community members on sustainable development and community improvement projects.
- Join the Yagua people as they teach their age-old cultural traditions and ceremonies.
- Work on your bartering skills when you trade items such as t-shirts and fish hooks for Yagua handicrafts, such as blow guns, paddles, necklaces and woven baskets.
- Hike along jungle trails and boat down Amazon tributaries in search of Amazon birds, monkeys, insects and plants.
- Meet with a local shaman and learn about medicinal plants and traditional rainforest medicines from the Amazon.
- Fish for Piranha in the flooded forest.
- Trip Length:
10 days/ 9 nights
- Available Trip Dates:
- 2019 Program Fee:
$2,350 land + $350 in-country flight per participant
- Program Fee Includes:
Accommodations (price based on double occupancy), meals as outined and purified water at the lodges, private in-country transportation (bus, boat), in-country flight from Lima to Iquitos, naturalist guides, tips for staff and guides, activities and entrance fees for activities listed, scientist and faculty support.
- Free Travel for Trip Leaders:
One trip leader travels for free, including air (international & internal) with every 10 paying participants.