Faculty-Led Itinerary - Service Work
Tour Quito’s historic downtown, a UNESCO heritage site. Local guides will perform a theatrical history for you as you traverse the city. Visit Mitad del Mundo equator monument and museum.
Historic Quito tour
Mitad del Mundo monument and museum
- Gain a deeper knowledge and understanding of Ecuador's history and culture
- Cross-cultural engagement and communication
- Experiment with gravitational pull at the equator
- Explore the significance of historical monuments to a country and its people
On your way to Mindo, make several stops to explore the flora and fauna of Ecuador.
Travel to Mindo
Butterfly garden visit
Orchid garden visit
- Study local flora and fauna
- Discuss conservation and importance of protected areas
- Understand the historical, cultural and economic significance of chocolate production in Ecuador
In San Clemente, spend three days immersed in the daily life of your Ecuadorian host community. Experience their sustainable life as you stay with a local family and participate in various service projects.
Welcome meeting & introduction to community
Hands-on cultural activities
Work with community members on service projects
Hike to Cubilche Lake
Understand the connections between economic, environmental and social aspects of sustainability
Apply sustainability concepts as you engage in real-life experiences
Experience full immersion in another culture
After bidding "good-bye" to your host family, travel to Otavalo for a little relaxation, exploration and cultural experience.
Visit to local hot springs
Walk to Peguche waterfall
Explore Otavalo market
Lunch with local music and dance group presentation
Explore work of local artisans
Experience local music and dance
Take time to reflect upon your trip and prepare for the trip home.
Transfer to airport