EcoTeach is seeking students who are registered to travel in 2015 to represent their group as a designated Field Reporter. Student Field Reporters will be responsible for “reporting” on their group’s pre-trip planning activities, experiences in the field, and post-trip travel reflections. Field reports will be shared with the EcoTeach community via our social media sites.
Field Reporter Stipend Award: $300
We will award EIGHT Student Field Reporters for 2015. Selected Student Field Reporters may ask for a $300 credit to their EcoTeach account or receive cold hard cash!
Field Reporter Responsibilities
1. Pre-Departure: File at least 1 report sharing your group’s pre-departure activities. This may include pre-departure meetings, field trips, fundraising efforts, etc.
2. In the Field: File at least 2 reports sharing a “day in the field” detailing your group’s activities. Due to limited internet in most of our field locations, the “day in the field” reports may be submitted upon return.
3. Post-Trip reflections: File at least 1 report reflecting on the impact of the travel experience from a personal perspective.
Field reports will be posted to the EcoTeach or Amazon Rainforest social media sites. Each field report should be submitted in the form of a blog post (see examples) and include a minimum of three to four paragraphs and a minimum of three relevant photos. Teachers/Trip Leaders must sign off on the blog post prior to being submitted to EcoTeach.
How will Student Field Reporters be selected?
We are holding the EcoTeach Essay Contest to find EIGHT Student Field Reporters
- Two middle school winners for travel to Costa Rica
- Two middle school winners for travel to Peru
- Two high school winners for travel to Costa Rica
- Two high school winners for travel to Peru
Essay Contest Topic
Use the following travel quotes for inspiration and write a sample blog post describing a place that you’ve visited recently. Include at least two photos.
“One’s destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things.” –Henry Miller
“Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I’ve seen.” -Benjamin Disraeli
“It is not down on any map; true places never are.” – Henry Melville
“We live in a wonderful world that is full of beauty, charm and adventure. There is no end to the adventures we can have if only we seek them with our eyes open.” – Jawaharial Nehru
Essays will be judged on writing that is clear, articulate, organized, and evocative! Each essay will be evaluated by the EcoTeach essay review committee.
Essay Contest Rules
- No fewer than 500 words and no more than 1,200 in length.
- Must be modeled as a blog post “from the field” and include a minimum of 2 photos.
- Essay and photos must be submitted via email to email@example.com by January 9, 2015
- Include name, grade level, name of school group, name of group trip leader (teacher) and parent signature authorizing entry.
Sample Blog Posts
After Field Reporters have submitted their final posts, we will select the top Field Reporter for 2015. This student will be awarded an additional scholarship to participate in the Youth Travel Blogging Mentorship Program sponsored by Wandering Educators.
Please submit any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.