- Where: Peru
- When: July 1-11, 2015 (There is a waiting list for this trip!)
- Trip Length: 11 day/ 10 night
- 2015 Program Fee: $2240/land/person
- 2015 Optional Machu Picchu Extension Program Fee: $1275/land/person ( plus an add'l $350 in airfare)
- The Highlights:
- There is a waiting list for this trip. Please contact us to have your name placed on the list.
- Earn PD hours and Graduate Credit on this Amazon tour for educators.
- Learn how to incorporate resources from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Project Learning Tree, and Rainforest Alliance into your classroom instruction.
- Explore camouflage, mimicry, and adaptation; neotropical biodiversity; Amazon River system, geology and soils; medicinal plants; orchids & bromeliads; rainforest conservation; sustainable development, and more.
- Work side-by-side with scientists and researchers on citizen science projects and field studies on a 1/4-mile Rainforest Canopy Walkway.
- Build your field investigation skills using binoculars, hand lenses, field journals, and digital tools such as i-buttons, GPS units and probeware.
- Spend a day in an Amazon village as you explore the complexities of sustainability and the role of education in creating a sustainable future for Amazon children.
- Work with fellow educators to explore strategies for using the Amazon as a vehicle for incorporating STEM education, inquiry-based learning, and sustainability science education into your classroom.
- Participate in a full day of community service in an Amazon village.
- Extend your experience with an optional 7-day Machu Picchu extension.
Professional Development Expedition for K-12 Educators
The Educator Academy in the Amazon Rainforest is a life changing, cross-curricular professional development workshop for educators to use and learn instructional approaches and protocols while exploring one of the world’s most important natural resources – the Amazon Rainforest. Small group field study includes: 21st Century Instruction, Inquiry Protocols and Resources, Global and Cultural Perspectives and a variety of Rainforest topics.