Professional Development Expedition for K-12 Educators
The Educator Academy in the Amazon Rainforest is a life changing, cross-curricular professional development workshop for educators to use and learn instructional approaches and protocols while exploring one of the world’s most important natural resources – the Amazon Rainforest. Small group field study includes: 21st Century Instruction, Inquiry Protocols and Resources, Global and Cultural Perspectives and a variety of Rainforest topics.
- Earn PD hours and Graduate Credit on this Amazon tour for educators.
- Learn how to incorporate resources from the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, Project Learning Tree, and Rainforest Alliance into your classroom instruction.
- 21st Century Instruction: 5E Lesson Design, Inquiry-Based Exploration & STEM
- Explore camouflage, mimicry, and adaptation; neotropical biodiversity; Amazon River system, geology and soils; medicinal plants; orchids & bromeliads; rainforest conservation; sustainable development, and more.
- Work side-by-side with scientists and researchers on citizen science projects and field studies on a 1/4-mile Rainforest Canopy Walkway.
- Build your field investigation skills using binoculars, hand lenses, field journals, and digital tools such as i-buttons, GPS units and probeware.
- Spend a day in an Amazon village as you explore the complexities of sustainability and the role of education in creating a sustainable future for Amazon children.
- Work with fellow educators to explore strategies for using the Amazon as a vehicle for incorporating STEM education, inquiry-based learning, and sustainability science education into your classroom.
- Participate in a full day of community service in an Amazon village.
- Extend your experience with an optional 7-day Machu Picchu extension.
- There was a waiting list for the 2015 trip so register early!
July 1-11, 2016
- Trip Length:
11 day/ 10 night
- 2016 Program Fee:
- 2016 Cusco and Machu Picchu Extension Program Fee:
$1350/land/person + approx. $350 air roundtrip Lima/Cusco/Lima