Rainforest Field Research, Biodiversity & Culture
Ready to dig deep and engage your students in citizen science and original field research? The Amazon Field Ecology Course offers participants unparalleled access to all levels of the rainforest – including the rainforest canopy – from one of the world’s most extensive canopy walkways. This course incorporates cultural exchange and service learning and provides cross-curricular learning experiences designed to deepen understanding of global environmental issues. Participants will experience life as a field biologist without the disruptive influence of major tourist development. The Amazon Field Ecology Course is ideally suited for AP and Honors Environmental Science and Biology students, International Baccalaureate students and undergraduate study programs.
- Spend multiple days exploring all levels of the rainforest from a 1/4-mile Rainforest Canopy Walkway at the Amazon Conservatory for Tropical Studies.
- Put your AP Environmental Science skills to the test and conduct original research in the Amazon.
- Participate in citizen science field research and learn more about the Amazon.
- Get the inside scoop from Amazon experts on Amazon biodiversity through special field sessions and discussions.
- Participate in a Village Service Day and collaborate with local community members on sustainable development and community improvement projects.
- Learn about the Maijuna-Kichwa indigenous community’s sustainable development projects and their role as guardians of Peru’s newest protected area – the Maijuna-Kichwa Regional Conservation Area.
- Hike along jungle trails, boat down Amazon tributaries and catalog Amazon birds, monkeys, insects and plants for a virtual field guide using iNaturalist.
- Meet with a local shaman and learn about medicinal plants and traditional rainforest medicines from the Amazon.
- Trip Length:
14 days / 13 nights
- Available Trip Dates:
- 2017 Program Fee:
$2,595 land + $350 in-country flight/participant
- 2018 Program Fee:
$2,675 land + $350 in-country flight/participant
- Program Fee Includes:
Accommodations (price based on double occupancy), meals as outined and purified water at the lodges, private in-country transportation (bus, boat), in-country flight from Lima to Iquitos, naturalist guides, tips for staff and guides, activities and entrance fees for activities listed, scientist and faculty support.
- Free Travel for Trip Leaders:
One trip leader travels free, including air (international & internal), with every 10 paying participants.